Audible downloads of the BE show

We're taking an outdoor smoke-break in this forum; this is the place to talk about anything and everything under the sun. No fixed topics, just grab a cup of really strong coffee, step outside and join in!
bighardrive

Audible downloads of the BE show

Post by bighardrive »

I just signed up for a year of Bob`s show.It will be delivered to my I-Pod daily for about 25 cents per show.

Even though there are numerous re-plays on XM,this solves all those interruptions.

PS...Ain't MARSHALL CHAPMAN a hoot?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Internet Man of Mystery
CharlieSummers
Site Admin

Re: Audible downloads of the BE show

Post by CharlieSummers »

I just signed up for a year of Bob`s show.It will be delivered to my I-Pod daily for about 25 cents per show.
I probably would have done the same thing, if I wouldn't have this thing about refusing to "purchase" anything containing DRM. (If I spend the money on something, I'm not a fan of the outfit taking my money telling me where, when, and if I may replay it. Yeah, I know it's easy to get around, but the DMCA makes that technically illegal...)

Besides, you miss "train wrecks" like this morning, when the auto-system went to the devil and the staff was apparently evacuated outside the building. ;)
PS...Ain't MARSHALL CHAPMAN a hoot?
He, he...she's sumpin', alright, and one seriously tall woman. (This coming from a short 5'6" old guy. Beside Bob and Marshall, I look like a yard gnome.)
Charlie Summers
The comments here are my personal opinion, and not the official opinion of www.bobedwards.info
tps

Post by tps »

Yeah, you would think they'd come up with better backup programming than Bob talking about the Kerry-Bush debates and the UPCOMING election... They COULD select a less dated interview! Guess I'll have to reschedule my recording for this evening so I can hear the entire show! My minidisc has SCMS, but that is the extent of DRM that I'm willing to put up with.

This morning wasn't quite as bad as the day that Ch 133 aired a whole hour of the Naval Observatory Master Clock instead of Here and Now. (The dead air alarm didn't trip that day, since there was continuous audio, just the wrong audio.) The Master Clock incedent happened shortly after Bob's party last September, after one of the XM staffers gave a long explanation to a friend of mine that was at that party about how "foolproof" the Broadcast Operations Center was... We both got a good laugh.

As for Marshall Chapman, not only does she make great albums of which I have a few, she has a most capavating speaking voice and always something interesting to say.
Ivy B

Post by Ivy B »

I forgot about the Naval Observatory clock!! I heard that too -- it annoyed me even more because I can't even listen to H&N on my public radio station as a substitute because they pre-empt it on Mondays. I fired off a message and called, but thought I was the only one listening -- glad to know I wasn't alone! <G>

This morning was another Huh! When I heard Bob give the closing credits at 8:45, I couldn't wait to hear what would come next -- bits and pieces.

Ivy B
tps

Post by tps »

Scott Simon did a bit about Marty Edwards, the voice of the Master Clock.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4223445

As to what certain public stations air and don't air, you can find quite a few public stations with Internet audio streams from which to choose, though the Windows Media Player experience is not that great. I just got a Roku M1000 specifically to use as an Internet radio. Works GREAT! It builds the buffer in just a few short seconds when you switch channels as opposed to the agonizing wait of Windows. No stutters or dropouts.

http://www.rokulabs.com

The first stations I put into the presets were:
1. WBAA-AM, Purdue Univ (I used to work there) http://www.purdue.edu/wbaa/
2. WBAA-FM
3. Radio Australia - http://www.abc.net.au/ra/
4. KEXP, Univ of Washington - http://www.kexp.org/

There are 18 presets in the latest beta firmware! I'm looking forward to lots of choices!
Last edited by tps on Wed May 03, 2006 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieSummers
Site Admin

Post by CharlieSummers »

tps wrote:Yeah, you would think they'd come up with better backup programming than Bob talking about the Kerry-Bush debates and the UPCOMING election...
Yeah, but it was kinda cool getting an update on Sam, even if it was two years old.
tps wrote:This morning wasn't quite as bad as the day that Ch 133 aired a whole hour of the Naval Observatory Master Clock instead of Here and Now.
I talked to Scott (Walterman, not Simon) about that...you can blame that on NPR and on the sat guys at XM. Apparently NPR changed the transponder and the kids at XM didn't.

And that wasn't as bad as the day they accidentally ran Fresh Air instead of Here and Now... ;)
Last edited by CharlieSummers on Thu May 04, 2006 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Charlie Summers
The comments here are my personal opinion, and not the official opinion of www.bobedwards.info
CharlieSummers
Site Admin

Post by CharlieSummers »

Ivy Bayard wrote:I can't even listen to H&N on my public radio station as a substitute because they pre-empt it on Mondays.
Worry not; http://www.here-now.org/ has the audio to most programs available in a few hours if you miss one.
Ivy Bayard wrote:This morning was another Huh! When I heard Bob give the closing credits at 8:45, I couldn't wait to hear what would come next -- bits and pieces.
Bob came in live during the second run around 40-min in, apologizing for the snafu and played the first part of the rerun interview after the "close." Since the second run cut the first interview short as well and there was time to fill, they played a Dylan tune and then Bob closed the show live with a short explanation about them being outside (my guess is the evacuation couldn't have been too bad for the big guy...imagine being forced outside for a smoke!) The third run, 10a-11a EDT, went off without a hitch.

(And to the staff; yeah, I know, we all pay way too much attention to y'all...) ;)
Last edited by CharlieSummers on Thu May 04, 2006 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Charlie Summers
tps

Post by tps »

CharlieSummers wrote:And that wasn't as bad as the day they accidentally ran Fresh Air instead of Here and Now... ;)
I don't know about that. At least Terry Gross is interesting. I rate Bob Edwards, Terry Gross and Susan Stamberg as my all time favorite interviewers. While Marty Edwards does have a good voice, an hour of time announcements every 15 seconds is quite boring...
CharlieSummers
Site Admin

Post by CharlieSummers »

tps wrote:I don't know about that. At least Terry Gross is interesting.
Yeah, but there that whole clearance thing, what running something distributed by NPR while they have an exclusive with the dog... ;)

(And I have no idea what's wrong with the quoting. Researching it now...)

(EDIT: Found the error, and fixed it; will "edit" recent posts just to apply the changes. --cfs3)
Charlie Summers