Audio processing changes

We're taking an outdoor smoke-break in this forum; this is the place to talk about anything and everything under the sun. No fixed topics, just grab a cup of really strong coffee, step outside and join in!
tps

Audio processing changes

Post by tps »

Anyone else notice the changes XM has made to their audio processing on most channels, including Ch 133? Sounds to me as if they have had someone come in and crank up the processing so it's more agressive. It was a real shame that Bob Edwards interview with Yo Yo Ma had to come through the new processing; it butchered a lot of the music by substantially removing the dynamics, making a lot of it the same loudness.

Here in the Philadelphia area, I've always felt that WXPN uses far too aggressive audio processing; WHYY does it right. In my opinion, XM should try to take the high ground and process more like WHYY than WXPN.
CharlieSummers
Site Admin

Re: Audio processing changes

Post by CharlieSummers »

tps wrote:Anyone else notice the changes XM has made to their audio processing on most channels, including Ch 133?
I have to admit I didn't; but then, I generally listen throughout the house on a series of small mono radios (about the only time I hear stereo is walking through the living room to the kitchen, or in the car), and I'm an old guy with a lot of high-range damage from the headphones of my misspent youth, so I missed it.

I have noticed complaints about it elsewhere, though, so it must be there.
Charlie Summers
The comments here are my personal opinion, and not the official opinion of www.bobedwards.info
tps

Post by tps »

I've listened to the BBC (Ch 131) for a while with the "new" processing. The main effect of the very aggressive processing is to amplify every breath the announcer takes so that it now sounds as if they're out of breath all the time. I haven't heard a music program on BBC since the change, but if what I'm hearing with voice is any indication, I expect that what it does to music will not be pretty...
tps

Post by tps »

Well, now it sounds as if Ch 133 is back to the old processing, as of Friday 3/10/2006. What a relief. Once again we get to hear the excellent technical work of Bob's production staff without being mangled by the audio processors.