Almost ready to open...

We're taking an outdoor smoke-break in this forum; this is the place to talk about anything and everything under the sun. No fixed topics, just grab a cup of really strong coffee, step outside and join in!
CharlieSummers
Site Admin

Almost ready to open...

Post by CharlieSummers »

This new discussion forum is just about ready; I'd appreciate if everyone here now could wander around the site and let me know if anything's broken. My plan is to announce its existance on the blog and begin submitting to search engines sometime early next week, so this is the last chance to fix anything that's busted...

Feel free to invite anyone you know who might be interested in the show; the more eyes on it the more mistakes we can catch!

Automatic log-in

Post by Ivy B »

On two different visits, I logged in and checked the box to be automatically logged in on each visit. I didn't have my Password manager remember it. After I exited, each time I returned I had to log in again. The automatic login didn't work. Don't know if this is a problem or not, or perhaps I am misunderstanding the purpose. I read the FAQ after I wrote this. And quote it below.

"Why do I get logged off automatically?
If you do not check the Log me in automatically box when you log in, the board will only keep you logged in for a preset time. This prevents misuse of your account by anyone else. To stay logged in, check the box during login. This is not recommended if you access the board from a shared computer, e.g. library, internet cafe, university cluster, etc."

If this is the purpose, perhaps some clarification would help those who assume a different meaning.
Ivy B
CharlieSummers
Site Admin

Re: Automatic log-in

Post by CharlieSummers »

Ivy Bayard wrote:On two different visits, I logged in and checked the box to be automatically logged in on each visit. I didn't have my Password manager remember it. After I exited, each time I returned I had to log in again. The automatic login didn't work. Don't know if this is a problem or not, or perhaps I am misunderstanding the purpose.
Hum...in tests, I get the same thing if I log out. If I just leave, close the browser, and restart it, I don't need to log-in. There are discussions about this issue on the software support forum; I'll keep you posted on anything I find out.

*Edit* Make sure you're accepting cookies from the www.bobedwards.info domain. (I've reconfigured the cookies to use the "www." which may make a difference.) *End Edit*
Ivy Bayard wrote:I read the FAQ after I wrote this. And quote it below.

"Why do I get logged off automatically?
That's a (somewhat) different issue; the software will log out out after a time, but it assumes you're logged in first. The problem I've been able to duplicate is, if you log out, on next visit you are not auto-logged back in.